{sorry for the picture, not the best}
SO at dinner group a week or so ago, some of the girls were sitting around talking about "Bountiful Baskets"..This whole concept was new to me. They explained that b.b was a co-op. For a $15 contribution, you receive a whole basket full of fresh produce!{ I have to say I was skeptical.}And for $10 more you can make your produce all organic.
But after picking up my basket I have to say "where have I been hiding all this time??"
This last Saturday John and the kids and I headed up to a parking lot in Lynnwood where we picked up our very first basket. I was impressed, very organized, all volunteer based, quick, friendly and good quality. The only draw back that I can see that some might not like is that you have no say as to what comes in your basket. But my friend Sarah said if something like mushrooms { that her family doesn't care for}ends up in the basket for the week, she just gives them to someone else.. No biggie. She's only out a buck or less, for a whole carton of mushrooms!
Some of the shipment is what restaurants order and our order is just tacked on to theirs.
There are {roughly} 6 kinds of vegetables and 6 kinds of fruit in every basket, roughly $50-$60 worth of produce they say. I haven't added it up, but I would venture to guess it to be a pretty close guess. Bountiful Baskets is just cutting out the middle man, no stand or grocery store.
The produce was supper fresh! I picked up the largest lemons I had ever seen and the romas were HUGE!
So I didn't categorize all of the goods received. but it certainly was enough for me to order again this week.
Rough counting, i got:
4 green bell peppers
4 yellow onions
4 zucchini
4 yellow squash
head of bib lettuce
bag of brussels sprouts
7 roma tomatoes
a beautiful bunch of bananas
6 kiwis
3 GIANT lemons
5 purple pears
8 or 9 pink lady apples {so yummy}
5 oranges/ tangelo kinda things
5 navel oranges
So if you are interested, check it out and see if there is a location in your neck of the woods!
http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/
I would love to hear if you give it a shot! Happy eating!

3 comments:
Soooo jealous, we get a CSA box and we get a quarter of what you got for $40! It is so expensive up here.
You got me hooked. We're picking up our third basket this weekend. It's only about five minutes from our house and the kids feel like we're discovering hidden treasure since we don't know what we're going to get. Thanks for the post.
You got me hooked. We're picking up our third basket this weekend. It's only about five minutes from our house and the kids feel like we're discovering hidden treasure since we don't know what we're going to get. Thanks for the post.
Post a Comment