Sunday, November 18, 2007

Checking off my list

So as many of my readers know, I have had one very busy weekend. I really enjoyed all of the different events the weekend held, but I'm glad it's over. I am actually sad at the same time that the weekend went by so quickly. I don't feel like I actually ever took the time to soak in all that it had to offer. I am sure that we have all had weekends that left us feeling blurry headed and exhausted. My exhaustion stems more from an emotional standpoint than a physical one.
Right now I feel as though I hurried through each event to keep on schedule, and now I regret it. So to fill you in- the weekend went a little like this...
Thursday
  • Rush to get Chastin & Shilo's hair cut and mine colored
  • Tell Chastin I ordered him a cake because I don't have time to make the cake he picked out after all. Upset 8 year old- upset mom= failure
  • Thursday night wait in dumping rain for Great Grandma to arrive on the train, run into Burlington Coat factory to see if they have suits in Chastin's size. Which they did, and I never made it back to buy him one to wear after the baptism. Another failure.

Friday

  • Start work at 8:30, take Shilo to dance, get yelled at by a dance dad for using my cell phone in the hall to make a schedule with a daycare mom, walk/run on treadmill during nap time for 70 min.
  • Friday night get to have dinner with good friends and enjoy some girl time!

Saturday

  • Go to work for Ballard Camera from 8:45-1:30
  • Drop Chastin and Shilo off at church for primary service project
  • Miss Jordan's last soccer game where of course she wins for the second time in the season. And to top it off- against an undefeated team. Defeat for mom
  • Rush home- set up for Chastin and Shilo's Birthday party
  • Take Shilo to Urgent Care in downtown Seattle from 7-midnight,to find she has a fever of 104 and a UTI. Another point lost for mom. I have let my 4 year old daughter get an infection.Uhhh. I don't know how much more I can handle by this point. Shilo sleeps in the car on the way there and on the way home and stays awake in her bed talking to her new lions she got for her birthday till the wee hours of the morning.

Sunday

  • Another day of going to bed last and getting up first.
  • Late to Sacrament Meeting, Shilo stays home with John and Great Grandma.
  • Run home during Sunday School to retrieve plates for Baptism and pick up Great Grandma.
  • Panic about being prepared for Chastin's Baptism- and due to lots of help from my wonderful husband and great friends all ran smoothly. Big thanks to them! Score for mom!
  • The most important piece of the whole weekend went the best!
  • Come home, unwind for once in two weeks, finally get some sleep.

I feel like every time I achieve something, the first thought that goes through my mind is "something off my list" and I have decided to not live that way anymore. When someone says " can I help you?" I vow to say "Yes" I am choosing to let go of some of my control. I know it will be hard, and that some of my grand ideas will have to wait for another chance to be put into action. But I am willing to give it my best, for a better quality of life. I want - I deserve to enjoy each moment that I am given; to experience the lesson, the joy the moment has to offer. Maybe I need to give myself some credit and treat myself as I would someone else. With kindness and love and patience. I don't have to do it all, and I don't have to plan so many things that I have to have a list to check off.

So there... Another thing off my list- {update blog:)}

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I heard the baptism went nicely. I can understand getting overwhelmed with all the things to do. Just take a day at a time, and remember there is always tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

you are so wonderful and Im so sorry your weekend went so crazy and had so many disappointments! I wish I lived closer so I could do something about it. I definitely don't have it all together but somehow- together, we get it all together. So...lets get together yah yah yah. (get it, get it, Parent trap?)
I love ya!!

kelly said...

torrie, you're the best.
i too used to feel like every occasion had to be perfect. i would "martha" everything and then feel stressed and let down afterwards.
i've really tried to make an effort to simplify and enjoy the moment. its really hard though.
your kids are so lucky to have such a fantastic mom!
and i'm lucky to have such a great friend!

btw, awesome party and beautiful baptism!